Reliant Publishing

The forum dedicated to comic book publisher Reliant Publishing!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some of my past work...

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Some of my past work... on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 pm

jim

Sidekick
Sidekick
I thought I'd show off some work I've done in the...distant...past.

This was a Deadpool submission I did for Marvel back in 1997. I was given a script of one of the issues by the editor of that book at the time. I stood in line at the Marvel booth at SDCC '97 for about 6 hours before getting to meet with him. (Supposedly) I was one of three people that day that received a script based on my portfolio work. I never found out if that was actually true or not because it was just something that one of the other guys in line told me at the end of the day.

View user profile

2 Re: Some of my past work... on Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:34 pm

jim

Sidekick
Sidekick
This is a short script from an original character I own called Whitestar. It was supposed to be his origin story but I never got around to finishing it. The word bubbles were just mock ups since I never got around to inking it.

This is a Whitestar story that did get published in a book called Tales From The Gator's Den. As you can see the bad guys got redesigned as did Whitestar's costume.

View user profile

3 Re: Some of my past work... on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:24 pm

The Bill

Administrator
Administrator
Wow, cool stuff Jim! 1997, huh? Many moons ago! I was thinking of seeing the Marvel editor at the Detroit Fanfare in September, just out of curiousity of how that works. None of the big companies have been around here since the early 90's! Back in '92 is when I got to meet Erik Larsen and Marc Silvestri, both were really cool and seemed pleasant. That's about the closest I've ever come to rubbing elbows with any big name pros.

Six hours to wait in line, huh? That's a lot longer than I would have thought. Now I am worried!

View user profile http://www.reliantpublishing.com

4 Re: Some of my past work... on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:06 pm

jim

Sidekick
Sidekick
I dont know if the lines are that long anymore for submission but then again I haven't been in that scene for 14 years. I'm really out of touch with all of that. But you have a chance I would certainly encourage you to go for it.

I've never met Silvestri but I did meet Erik Larsen up here in Seattle once back then. I showed him my REALLY early artwork and he actually held up his signing line to talk to me for about half an hour. I'm sure people were PO'd at me but I didn't really notice at the time. We were talking about poses, forced perspectives and dynamics in comics. Most of the stuff that Drawing Comics the Marvel Way teaches you. It was pretty funny because at one point he was standing up on his table with one arm in the air trying to show me the "dynamic" way to draw a person leaping. He's a great guy. I wish I had a little more talent and a lot more patience because it would have been awesome to work with him at Image. But being a software developer is a close second to getting to do what I've always wanted to do. Very Happy

Hey I got the new issues today in the mail. THANK YOU!
And I gotta say, each issue just gets better and better. I'm already wanting to read #7.
Seeing this issue actually gives me some more ideas on how to spice up the cover to #7 too. I'll send you an update soon for approval.

Cheers mate!

View user profile

5 Re: Some of my past work... on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:17 pm

The Bill

Administrator
Administrator
jim wrote:And I gotta say, each issue just gets better and better. I'm already wanting to read #7.

I agree, I really feel each issue gets better from both technical and artistic standpoints. And I want to read issue #7 too! Actually, just today I was going over a ton of the dialogue for issue #8 in my head...I'm hoping that will be a fun read for all.

By the way, speaking of Erik Larsen, I had gotten his comic "The Savage Dragon" #s 40-120 from a friend and I have been tearing thru them! I think his cartoony art style and obvious love of the character and ongoing story is infectious, because I have found myself getting my own creative fires burning like an inferno again! I am rather impressed that he has been writing, penciling, and inking each issue from 1992 to now! That's over 170 issues by now. Thats dedication!

View user profile http://www.reliantpublishing.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum