Reliant Publishing

The forum dedicated to comic book publisher Reliant Publishing!

You are not connected. Please login or register

DC Comics reboot

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 DC Comics reboot on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:51 am

The Bill

Administrator
Administrator
Its finally happened! DC Comics has rebooted the DC Universe (DCU), with the release of the Justice League #1. I spun by the comicbook store this weekend and cleaned out my bin, so I could give this issue a read.

It was...interesting. It is set "5 years ago" and the only superheroes in it were Batman and Green Lantern. There is an appearance by Victor Stone (Cyborg), but it is prior to him becoming Cyborg. Superman also makes an appearance on the final page of the issue.

It looks as if its being set up as a slow burn kind of story. I can't say much else of it just now, as I want to wait another issue or two. Writer Geoff Johns has earned my trust to put out some solid stories, and the art by penciler Jim Lee and inker Scott Williams is dynamic as always. Personally, I would like to see Lee and Williams change things up a bit in their art style. After 20 years now, I have seen very little change in their artwork. Its certainly nice looking and its been successful, but change isn't a bad thing. That's my only real gripe.

I am looking forward to the other two titles I plan on collecting from this reboot. We shall see where this all leads![img][/img]

Last edited by The Bill on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://www.reliantpublishing.com

2 Re: DC Comics reboot on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:28 pm

jim

Sidekick
Sidekick
I like that you mentioned Jim Lee and Scott Williams' artwork and its aging, or lack thereof. Last year I was looking at Jim Lees Batman All*Star book and thinking the same thing.

I still really enjoy his work on Uncanny X-Men and X-Men. It was clean and simple but extremely dynamic and easily recognizable. He switched to this more "modern" style when he invented Wildstorm and to be honest it has never really done much for me. There was something...superficial about it. His work at DC has some of the feeling back and is still just as beautiful but I would love to see him channel his work from his X-Men days once again or even further evolve his style into something "newer".

As far as the DC reboot, I'm very excited about it. I love that they are giving the DC characters distictly different personalities both in what we knew before and from one another. I thought JLA was a great read and am looking forward to the next few issues.

I plan on picking up the Superman, Green Lantern, and Batman books for sure and continue JLA for a while. I doubt I'll follow the rest though.

View user profile

3 Re: DC Comics reboot on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:31 am

The Bill

Administrator
Administrator
I've got the Justice League, Aquaman, and Batgirl series being pulled for me at the comic store.

I really enjoyed what the writer and artist did with Aquaman in the Brightest Day series and they are the same crew on his new series, so for the first time in my life, I am giving Aquaman a shake.

I am getting the Batgirl series because I hate Alan Moore and how he needlessly crippled her in the story "The Killing Joke". I always promised that if she ever got up and about again, that I would follow her series, and after over two decades, the time has come. I got to put my money where my complaints have been! Besides, I look at it like a "screw you" to Alan Moore Razz [img][/img][img][/img]

View user profile http://www.reliantpublishing.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum