Reliant Publishing

The forum dedicated to comic book publisher Reliant Publishing!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Get to know your comic book guys!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 pm

GoliathAssassin

Masked Vigilante
Masked Vigilante
Actually, I'm not that young to have read those... but my general understanding is that LOTS of things were more viscious backthen. (Grimm's fairytales... that stuff would never slide nowadays!) But yeah, I sort agree with the way you think. I'd like comics to be a little more wierd. Today we may get a lot more blood, but the really disturbing stuff has fallen away to campy, quirk comedy.

Nice to meet you, Thomas. Aspiring comic professional? As in writer or artist?

View user profile http://allpoetry.com/GoliathAssassin

27 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:14 pm

thomas4d4

Sidekick
Sidekick
Well I would like to be a writer.... But because of the lack of artists I end up having to do everything myself.

You can see my first effort here;

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Minks/74745010797?sid=16596b02711a5b6b6a0184fd71cd1a6d&ref=search

These days I'm very inspired by the 30's and 40's and have worked out a lot of ideas that take place in this time. Why the 30's and 40's? Because I love the Clothes of the time (fedora, suits and rain coats), the pulp fiction (The Shadow, Doc Savage, and Philip Marlow), jazz, gangsters, and the war. WWII was an amazing time in our history. Before the war we were a rural country but the war turned us into an industrial world power so everyone moved to the cities and thus the sterile suburban 50 were born, complete with it's dark under currants of b horror movies and rock and roll.

Also because it's history, it's much easier to write about. It's become something of a cliche. It's much harder to write about our own age because everything is changing every day.

View user profile

28 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:55 pm

GoliathAssassin

Masked Vigilante
Masked Vigilante
Thanks for the link.

And I do agree that the past is easier to write about. Maybe it's my love for the X-Men or maybe it's just a stubborn part of my personality that urges me to write into the "not-too-distant future." Either way, it's definitely not the simplest of things that I find intriguing.

(five minutes later)
Ya got some talent, that's for sure! I mean, you can draw. Even if it's not your favorite thing about comics, I'd be happy to have half your ability. I'm actually thinking of taking drawing classes in my (almost non-existent) free time, just so I can bring my ideas into rough sketch.

29 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26 pm

thomas4d4

Sidekick
Sidekick
I've been thinking about giving lessons in drawing.
If you post your stuff, I could give you tips.
I don't believe that there is such a thing as a bad artist. Everybody has there unique style. I think a real teacher helps free the pupils hand and mind, not necessarily teach them to draw per say. You may never learn to draw like Jim Lee (god forbid) but I think everyone can draw.

View user profile

30 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:30 pm

GoliathAssassin

Masked Vigilante
Masked Vigilante
This is somewhat similar to my oppinion that basically everyone can sing. But not everybody should!

31 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 am

deadpunk

Sidekick
Sidekick
Hi.

My name is David. I'm married with 3 kids. I'm a mental health worker for children with violent mental illnesses. I'm stuck in the 80s when it comes to music (being that that was the only time to find real punk rock).

I can't recall a time when I wasn't into comics. My favorite is Batman, but I really feel that might be DC's only worthwhile title these days. I mostly collected Marvel growing up, but tbh, not really in love with the way they are revamping their universe these days. (Don't get me started on the Disney yet-to-comes)

I'm very intrigued by the Reliant offerings, as they seem to have that old school feel that made comics truly great.

I found Bill and his comics on Homepageofthedead, a George A Romero tribute site, where I post fiction. (You can author search me as David Sanders) I've done a few stories there that feature Batman in the land of the living dead, but I have some regular old zombie fic up too.

I'm a fairly decent penciler, but can't ink worth a damn Laughing Ummmm... I like pirates, ninjas, zombies, beer and Tank Girl (not neccessarily in that order Wink ) and that about sums me up, I guess.

View user profile

32 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:37 pm

The Bill

Administrator
Administrator
I didn't know you wrote the Batman stories! Shocked I loved those! What could make a zombie story better? Add Batman!

And thanks for the compliment about Reliant. Much appreciated!

View user profile http://www.reliantpublishing.com

33 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:32 am

deadpunk

Sidekick
Sidekick
The Bill wrote:I didn't know you wrote the Batman stories! Shocked I loved those! What could make a zombie story better? Add Batman!

Yeah, that was me. It has kind of become a cross to bear though. Everytime I submit a story, the only feedback I get is; when's the next Batman story coming? Which is why I gave up the site for awhile. Wink

View user profile

34 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:17 pm

The Bill

Administrator
Administrator
deadpunk wrote:
The Bill wrote:I didn't know you wrote the Batman stories! Shocked I loved those! What could make a zombie story better? Add Batman!

Yeah, that was me. It has kind of become a cross to bear though. Everytime I submit a story, the only feedback I get is; when's the next Batman story coming? Which is why I gave up the site for awhile. Wink

How embarrassing...I was going to ask you that very question! Embarassed The next time someone asks, have a breakdown like William Shatner at a Star Trek convention ala Saturday Night Live. "Get a life! It was just a tv show!" Laughing

View user profile http://www.reliantpublishing.com

35 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:22 pm

deadpunk

Sidekick
Sidekick
Truth is, my laptop crashed about a year back, and I lost most of the third one. Since it happened, I've only tried to rewrite the lost portion of it half-heartedly. It was a very complex storyline, with about 6 main character POVs and it fustrated me to lose it. Embarassed

View user profile

36 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:10 am

GoliathAssassin

Masked Vigilante
Masked Vigilante
Oooohhhh... I've had major losses in writing before. It's not fun at all. Sad

Well, welcome to the forum! Cast all of your worries aside and learn to think happy thoughts, that you may fly with razor-bladed wings of justice! Very Happy

37 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm

deadpunk

Sidekick
Sidekick
Thanks for the welcome

View user profile

38 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:45 pm

GoliathAssassin

Masked Vigilante
Masked Vigilante
Thanks for the interest. Now something you said interests me... (and remember, I was born in 1984, so you'll have to excuse my limited memory) But didn't Green Day come out in the 90's and isn't Green Day generally considered to be the last "real punk band?" Any answer you give will probably be educational to me, Deadpunk. But as dictated by the year of my birth, Green Day will most likely always be the most "real" punk band that I identify the genre with. I haven't heard anyone do it better since.

39 Re: Get to know your comic book guys! on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:39 pm

deadpunk

Sidekick
Sidekick
Green Day...Hmmmm. Well, they started out in the 90s as a punk band. What they do these days is more of a pop punk thing that skirts the line of emo music. (not to say that I don't like GD. In fact, I love them!)

I would have to say that Bad Religion would qualify as the best of the last of the real punk bands. Very Happy

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum