Reliant Publishing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Reliant Publishing

The forum dedicated to comic book publisher Reliant Publishing!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ever have one of those days?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ever have one of those days? Empty Ever have one of those days? Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 am

The Bill

The Bill
Administrator
Administrator

You know the type, I'm sure. One of those days.

Sometimes I don't get to bed until 1 am - 3am, not because I am partying or having fun, but because I am working. Working on plots, working on penciling, working on inks, working on lettering pages, working on coloring, working being a publisher (which consists of communicating with other talent, the printer, drafting up contracts, proof reading/editing, and keeping an eye on the Motor City Comic Con), working as the webmaster and forum administrator...without the admin part, you wouldn't even be reading this post!

Anyway, long story short, I do a lot of work. There are many times when I work through a weekend. Times when I work through parties going on right in my own home. Times when I work through perfectly nice, sunny, and warm days (which is not too many here in Michigan). Times when I work through eye strain induced headaches (oh, how I hate those!). Times when I work while it seems the rest of the world is asleep. Times when I have to force myself to work through writers or artists block (not easy to do, trust me).

I also physically work alone. No co-workers to live experiences with. No worries of sexual harrassment. No meeting new people.

Sometimes, late at night (or early in the morning, depending upon ones perspective) I tiredly shut everything down for the workday and ask myself why I do it. What, exactly, is my rationale to do everything I have done and continue to do? Sometimes it seems like I have done so very little and accomplished nothing as I go to sleep at night.

At 8 am, when my alarm kicks on the radio to wake me, I tiredly turn it off and force myself out of bed. That's when I see it: The Wall. I have put each proof copy of every issue into a mylar bag (with board) and pinned it to The Wall by my drawing board. It now has an impressive 7 issues on it! Considering this time last year, it was just a blank wall standing there, I believe that's rather impressive. I have published two titles of my own to date: RELIANT PRESENTS and TALES FROM THUNDER CITY and now Reliant Publishing has taken on a new title: JEREMIAH COOPER as well.

Virtually every morning I look at The Wall and can't help but be amazed at how it symbolizes everything I have managed to accomplish in the past year. Looking at it now, I wonder what it will look like next year at this time.

I guess I do it all because I'm a dreamer and a thinker. All I've ever wanted to do is to work with comic books; to entertain, amuse, and if I'm really lucky, educate people. That's why I do it. That's why I work so hard. I'm an entertainer at heart. It's all been one big learning experience for me and it's allowed me to hone my skills and force me to get better at each aspect of the business. I may not be able to concentrate on any single area of expertise, but at least I will always know how to do each of them, due to practical work experience. That can't be all bad.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. It is late and time for me to go to bed! Smile

http://www.reliantpublishing.com

2Ever have one of those days? Empty Re: Ever have one of those days? Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:28 pm

GoliathAssassin

GoliathAssassin
Masked Vigilante
Masked Vigilante

I've seen that wall, Bill... and in my oppinion, you chose too small a section to start with. At this rate, you are going to have to carry the comic hangings over to the adjacent wall and hope that will last you for another year or two! Heck, the further you go with this, the more attractive becomes he idea of building a shelf to catalog various Reliant anthologies.

Your example and your drive to pursue your dreams has already strengthened my resolve to do something involving writing. Whether that is writing song lyrics, magazine articles, movie scripts, or comic plotlines, I can be sure of only one thing: "I will write professionally."

This world doesn't need more men just working for a living. It needs more men COMING ALIVE in their work! We'd have much better music and cartoons, I'm sure of it... probably better cars, architecture, and silent laws?

http://allpoetry.com/GoliathAssassin

3Ever have one of those days? Empty Re: Ever have one of those days? Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:44 am

crazzycat

Sidekick
Sidekick

work at night is very hard as for me, it's a big step i am glad that you like your work so much
--------
I can only trust the attorney general...

4Ever have one of those days? Empty Re: Ever have one of those days? Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:10 am

beatlesmama

beatlesmama
Sidekick
Sidekick

"All I've ever wanted to do is to work with comic books;"

This is the whole reason in a dozen words. I can attest that all you ever wanted to do was work with comics. I believe you are probably happier than you have ever been because you are "plugged in" to the desires of your heart. There is a reason that you feel driven and satisfied in this work. Keep at it and live your joy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum